Okay, first I have to give a little background...
At the risk of being a name dropper, I'm just going to say it. I live in the same community as Sarah Palin. There, I said it. She is a normal person with a normal family, and they do normal things. Like Sarah going to Walmart in her jeans and flannel shirt, or Todd Palin pumping his own gas at the station down the road. Well, another normal thing us women like to do is work-out. I go to a gym that (I have come to understand and appreciate) is the "who's who" of Wasilla. Real estate owners, Bankers, Board members, and the former Governor. Its not a big commercial gym. There is one owner, who is also the class instructor, personal trainer, and mentor. Her name is Alina, and she does it all! But it is a small gym. Only 2 elliptical, 2 treadmills, and one workout room. I think some people prefer this, because you don't have 50 people staring at you while you sweat, and they like the personal touch that Alina gives. The cycling class accommodates 20 bikes. I have been going here for the last 2 1/2 years. (since it was opened) And for the most part, I know everyone that goes there.
So, the other day, Chandler turns to me and says, "hey mom, how come you don't go to Alina's Gym anymore?" I tried to ignore the implications of his comment, and instead said "I do go, you just don't see it, because I go early in the morning while your asleep, or later while your at school. In fact," I said "I was in cycling this morning, and raced with Sarah Palin" (Alina has two rows of bikes, and divides us up to race each other in order to make us better and more competitive.)
"who's that?" he said. (I know, I need to work on this kid a little more) Thinking I had failed as a parent, I hear Gabe yell from across the room "NO WAY! You don't know who Sarah Palin is Chandler?" Chandler shrugs his shoulders. "Chandler, she almost became President!" Gabe exclaims. "Chandler, you don't understand! She was THIS close to becoming the almost President of the UNITED STATES!"
I just shook my head, and laughed. I thought it was hilarious that my one child didn't have a clue about politics, and the other, got excited about the mention of a former candidate's name even a year after the elections. So I guess to Chandler, I don't exercise enough, and to Gabe, I'm the coolest mom ever because I sweat next to a former VP candidate.
3 comments:
Great story! Kids and their personalities are soooo different, aren't they?!
Did you take her picture?! :-) That is so awesome. I would love to work-out with Sarah Palin! he, he. I am surprised she goes out in public like that. People here always ask me if I know her. Now I can say, "No . . . but I know someone who does!" ;-) wink! Loved the story.
By the way, you are so talented. Look at all those cool things you can do! I love the cupcakes. I'm always checking your blog for cute things -- so keep posting!
No, I didn't take her picture...I wouldn't want mine taken with no make-up, my hair up in a pony, wearing my work-out cloths while I sweat. Its kind of wierd since the campaign last year, stuff that was just normal for us, is extraordinary to everyone else. Its kind of fun though. And thanks for the sweet compliments. I love looking at your blog as well!
Post a Comment