Okay ladies. We all know the stress of Christmas crafting, right? We wanna be the perfect wife and mother who creates culinary masterpieces for parties while playing with the children, helping with homework and school projects, doing the 12 days of Christmas, volunteering in the classroom, making wonderful neighbor and friend gifts, co-worker gifts for our husbands, teacher gifts, and don't get me started on impressing the in-laws. So here is my big announcement...
I am not making everything this year. I started out with yards and yards of fabric, ideas, plans, everything you need to impress others with your creativity and skills. 4 weeks later and guess what? Haven't really started. So, I'm going a different route. I've decided I can either be Martha Stewart for Christmas, or spend it doing fun things with my kids, since I can't do everything. So, I've decided to spend Christmas being the 'fun mom' who decorates Sugar Cookies with my little darlin's. We're making snow angels and snowmen. Going Christmas shopping together, I'm actually letting them help wrap packages this year. (they're not perfect, but as long as we stick with our coordinating wrapping paper, I think I can deal). Oh, and since I'm not sewing fifty million hats, scarfs and mittens, I have time to go decorate candy houses at Gabe's school, have a spontaneous lunch with Matt, and slip in an extra kickboxing class here and there. You know, I think I'm actually going to enjoy Christmas this year, instead of being so stressed about finishing everything. Sorry Grandma's, no homemade scrapbooks. And, after asking the kids what they wanted to make for their teachers this year, they all responded the same. "I wanna give my teacher that Scentsy stuff. Ms. Bocast likes things that smell good" Don't I have awesome, supportive kids?
What was the final straw you ask? Well, somewhere between being insane enough to volunteer hosting Bunco this month (on the 20th, and coming up with 12 gifts by the way) and 2 parties where I have to bring a gift from Matt and I for a gift exchange, and now costumes for the kids for the Ward party, I have become Target's#1 costumer.
Happy crafting gals. You can have it this year. I neither have the time, nor the inclination to compete for the crown. I'm just happy to celebrated the season with my wonderful little family, and appreciate my awesome husband for being so patient with the nutty little wife he married, and has had to deal with all these years.
3 comments:
You are so stinkin' smart! Enjoy your "extra" time with your sweet family!!
Amen, sister!
Hey Amy Shumway?! Send me a line at suzbriscoe@yahoo.com my computer ate your comment and address and I have been wanting to say hi!
Post a Comment