Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Life Lessons



So, the kids and I were reading in Helaman tonight (we're trying to finish the Book of Mormon by May, when Matt's parents get off their mission), and the boys are totally enthralled with the Gadianton Robbers. You know, the whole "bad guy" thing. We'd read 6-7 verses, and I'd ask a question to make sure they were listening. Chandler was so on the ball every time. He has an amazing ability to recall things. I love reading with the kids. I tend to come away with so much more, because I'm paying attention, so that I can ask them questions to see if they're paying attention. I love the 10th and 11th chapters we read tonight. The Lord is speaking to Nephi, after Nephi had revealed the murderer of the chief judge (recognizing the Lord's hand in doing so) to the people. Helaman 10:5 "And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that all things shall be done unto thee according to thy word, for thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my will". How many of us strive to keep the commandments like Nephi did? Elder Marion G. Romney once said that "the time will come...when as a result of righteous living, we shall so enjoy the companionship of the spirit that he will dictate what we ask".




It is also amazing to me that even after the warnings by Nephi to repent, then the famine, then after the people repented, and Nephi pleaded with the Lord on their behalf, not 15 years later, they were proud, and "ripening for destruction" again. How many times have we pleaded with the Lord when we needed something, when we were humbled due to tragedy, or in need of blessings, and then months or maybe even years later, when we have been blessed, we become proud again...do we recognize our failings to liken ourselves to the scriptures. How many times have you read the Book of Mormon but not really implemented its teachings? Do we really look at it as another testament of Jesus Christ? If we stop to actually contemplate; the lessons we can learn. And just as awesome, the opportunities to teach our children....


Our family Book of Mormon is the big one, "for Latter-day Saint families" where the scriptures are unaltered, but there are extras at the bottom, to better explain to the kids. There's dictionary help, and history facts, quotes, and questions to ask your kids. I love this one... " Trials sometimes humble people enough to repent. Alma taught that we are more blessed, however, when we choose to be humble by studying the Lord's words. Why do you think it is better to become humble because you love the Lord, rather than having the Lord make you humble by giving you trials?"

No comments: